Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Backeaster Days 5, 6 and 7: South by Southeast

I awoke somewhere in the middle of the painted desert in Arizona on Friday morning (no pic right now...the camera is somewhere in my bookbag). OK, I was at a rest stop, but I'm not sure where it was.

I rolled out of my car (no literally, I slept in my car) and fired up the stove again to make coffee, oatmeal and some scrambled eggs for breakfast. Again, some folks walked by and were impressed. It amazes me that people are amazed that I cook for myself while I'm on the road.

I set out to explore part of old Route 66, which was eerily charming considering that vast expanses of it are remnants of a once-thriving roadside economy:



Again, many more pictures, but I don't feel like digging out the camera. I finished that night somewhere in Texas and awoke to this:


Yea, never imagined north Texas would get that cold! The rest of Saturday was pretty forgetful: lots of rain and one bright spot from a generous gentleman at a truck stop in Mississippi (which will get a future entry to itself, promise), but that's about it.

This has been my typical morning for the last few days:


I guess it is pretty badass. I've spent less than $100 on things other than gas this entire trip, including food. Cook your own. It's worth it.

This happened this evening:


And so I wound up at a friend's place in Charleston, SC, 2 blocks from the beach in a palatial estate (OK not literally, but it feels like one). The road is a glorious place, but a nice warm bed (and some beautiful weather) are a wonderful change of pace.

Throughout this adventure, I never seem to get tired until I stop to rest at the end of the night. And with that, my head is spinning, literally, right now, so it's time for bed. On to PA tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment