Monday, December 9, 2013

Snow Problem at All


We received about 6 inches of snow out here on Friday! I woke up to that pleasant surprise and felt that giddy little kid feeling for about 15 minutes. I always get super excited for the first snow of the season, and especially this time because I'm told that this is a rare occasion around these parts. No matter where or when, I'm always amazed at how beautiful snow appears to me:



More pee writing:



I wish I had gotten more pics of the covered bridge in the lower left of this picture:






It snowed pretty much all morning and was gray and overcast the remainder of the day. We did some sledding and snowball fighting and the like as big kids like us do and partied well into the evening. The power went out at some point and of course we weren't even the slightest bit phased. Actually, I love when the power goes out. It makes you truly appreciate modern conveniences and also I think of it as a test of survival skills or something like that. Plus, playing cards by candlelight is much more epic. Anyway...it was a BEEEEEautiful sunny day on Saturday:










Those of you from the northeast know what a crisp, winter day feels like. This was one of those days, and they're apparently rare around here, so I'm glad I took advantage of it. I know this looks and sounds a lot like typical PA weather, but something about this just feels...different. I can't quite explain it. It's just...awesome.

Addendum: our well froze on Sunday morning, and we've been without running water since. It's been a surprisingly rewarding adventure having to bring buckets of snow indoors and warm them on the stove to have drinking/dishwashing water. I tend to love survival situations for some strange reason. Anyway, I learned a little bit about plumbing today while fixing the well, and hopefully it worked. Peeps are starting to STINK around here!

Addendum to the Addendum: the fix worked. However, we discovered another leak, which some others fixed today. That worked as well, but the pipes are frozen somewhere else leading into the dormitory, so we're using a hose directly from the well to get drinking and dishwashing water, which is working fine, but I haven't showered since Saturday...

No comments:

Post a Comment