Monday, December 22, 2014

Don't Call Me Needy

I've written about needs before, but this time of year, it seems to be a big topic of thought...give to the needy, etc.

I was on the phone with my Dad yesterday and he asked if I wanted anything more for Christmas. Truthfully, of course I did. But most of what I want are things I don't really need.

That's true of a lot of things in life. If you ask yourself what you really need, you'd be amazed at how much you don't actually need. Ask others the same...and be prepared for confusion, anger, or any emotion really. People don't like to be questioned on these sorts of things.

Case in point: I received a call this morning. When I said "Hello," the caller responded with "Yes, I need to speak to the person who manages the gas bill."

As someone who works in customer service, has worked in retail and has regular interactions with members of the general public as a representative of several organizations, I know what it's like when someone gives you a hard time. It sucks. However, the tactic of this phone call at this time of year gave me a slight jolt. So I responded with, "Do you really need to speak with them?"

Of course they said "Yes," we went back and forth for a minute or so and the conversation ended with me saying "Sorry, I don't need to talk about my gas bill. Have a nice day." See what I did there?

That person will probably tell her supervisor and/or co-workers what an asshole I was, getting all philosophical over something as simple as a gas bill, but I do these things in hopes of getting people to think twice. Whether it worked, I don't know. Hey. It made me think...

No comments:

Post a Comment