Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Month? That's It?

Sometimes it's tough for me to believe I've only been away from home for just a little over a month. With all I've seen and experienced recently, I feel like I'm a world away at times. Even more mind-blowing to me is that it's only been a little over 2 months since I left my "corporate" work life behind to attempt something new. Excuse me while I wax nostalgic...

Has it been worth it? Shit yea. It's been just what I needed. I'm writing music again. I'm meeting new people seemingly every day. I'm learning (and all of that seemingly useless calculus and geometry I learned years ago has suddenly come in very handy). I still don't know what's going to happen in 3 1/2 weeks when this thing ends, but I already feel that I have a ton of options right in front of me, and that's a really good feeling.

Anyway, some more pics. Some of these are Instagram duplicates for those of you who don't have that or Facebook.



A friend of ours has a band. They were on tour and ended up all the way out here! Small world, right?


We worked on a yurt for a couple days last week, which was a very inspiring experience. It began with a group sitting in a circle brainstorming, and then all of a sudden we had walls and roof rafters. It wasn't ALL that simple, but the point is, it just sort of happened out of an organic human experience. Great stuff.


A frequent swimming spot.


I've never eaten so many blackberries in my life. These things are EVERYWHERE. And they're delicious.


Front roof rafters are in place, as well as a cob bond beam on top of our stone stem wall. Surprisingly, cob is pretty sturdy stuff for being made of clay, sand and straw. Just keep it dry...


Some roof rafter (roofters) detail.


A beautiful, powerful moon shining over our dormitory.


Another view of the cob bond beam, and our doggie friend Friga in the background.


Putting straw bales in place for the north wall, which will be covered with plaster (similar to a stucco) this week.

And with that, it's off to another beautiful day at the job site. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment