Saturday, September 6, 2014

It's A Small World After All

It never ceases to amaze me how often I seem to encounter seemingly improbable connections. Take last night for example. I went to see my friend's band and ran into another friend. Doesn't sound that crazy, right? Let me back track...

In 2012, I met up with a friend in Washington, DC to see her friend Andrew's band. Long story short, I struck up a friendship with Andrew, and we jammed a few times before I moved out of the DC area. He eventually switched bands, I went to see them play a few times (including Portland, OR. I'm a dedicated fan. Hah) and became friends with the band.

Flash forward to last night. They came up to Philly to play a show no more than a half mile from my house. I was standing against the wall near the stage waiting for them to play, when I heard someone say "Ewok??"

My head snapped around. It was dark, so I couldn't really see who it was at first. How strange. I didn't know any of my friends I had invited from Philly were actually going to this show. Stranger than that, "Ewok" was my nickname in college, and I almost never see anyone from college these days...

Turns out it was this dude named Walters who I had met...I don't know, 10 years ago? Maybe longer? And of course, we met through yet another mutual friend.

So I asked, "What in the hell are you doing here?" Granted, I love Caustic Casanova (the band that we both came to see) but I didn't think they had much of a following in Philadelphia outside of a few friends and family. Apparently, Walters knows the bassist from way back when - they met through MySpace (haha) - and their bands used to trade shows between Philly and DC. What are the odds?

Just another reminder that the world is, in fact, very small, and we are all connected.

Oh, and the show was great, too. Thanks CC!

No comments:

Post a Comment