Monday, July 14, 2014

The Repeater

Though I've been pretty good about keeping variety in my life, I've noticed over the years that certain things are constant. I guess that's not such a bad thing...

But even constants can also change within variety, oddly enough. I tend to meet a lot of people just because...well...I do. And when I do, depending on the person I meet or already know, though unique, they will probably say one of the following phrases during our interaction:
- Are you interested in saving 15% or more on your car insurance?

Alright...maybe not that one.

- Stephen...is that with a "V" or a "PH?"
- Wait, you're [age]? No way.
- I like your hat/shirt.
- What do you think about [Philadelphia sports story]?
- Dude you played/sang [90's song]! I haven't heard that in years!
- Are you Hispanic/Mexican/Puerto Rican?
- Are you gay? (No. Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
- You got a lighter, man? (OK, I think most people get asked that, but anyway...)
- You work in video? That's so coooooool! (Hah...)
- That [random object] is bigger than you!
- Nice dance moves. (In equal amounts of sarcasm and truth)
- Wow, you're single? (Strange that no one ever follows that with "I have a friend you should meet.")
- You're a jerk/OK smartypants/etc.
- Thanks for being so kind.
- Stop being so damn nice!

And more recently:
- Where's the rest of you?
- Wait...you...quit eating bacon?
- So...what DO you eat?
- I love your pictures!
- You should blog more often.

I'm working on it. Maybe hearing the same phrases over and over again is limiting my ability to come up with new material. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment