Thursday, November 28, 2013

Yauna Take a Sauna?

Since the Shelter Series ended, those of us who have stayed here at Aprovecho were given the opportunity to work on independent projects. Mine, as you're probably aware, have been focused on woodworking. Yesterday, I completed my most recent endeavor into designing and building my own benches to fit the Yurt Sauna that my friends were building, better known as the Yauna:


You can see it overlooking the pond in the background. A closer view:


It's obviously not complete, but it is in working order and DAMN it works well. It's about an 8 foot diameter structure made primarily out of cinder blocks, bamboo, straw clay, cob and - believe it or not - a satellite dish frame for a roof! For many reasons, I'm really happy to see this building standing. For one, taking a sauna is very relaxing, and if you've never taken one, I highly recommend it. Two, it's made of natural and recycled materials and because of its simplicity, it only took a month and a half to construct. Three, it's a project that everyone here has helped with on some level, just like in the Shelter Series.

I mentioned in the bench post I wrote a few weeks ago that I was given an idea and told to do with it what I please. I chose to custom design three benches to fit into the space inside so that the back edges would follow the contour of the interior wall, and if I do say so myself, they turned out to be pretty amazing:


They're very sturdy, smooth for the comfort of your naked ass, and as I found out, they can survive a fall from a moving vehicle! I can't tell you enough how happy I am with how this worked out. I was able to work on things to strengthen my amateur skill set. Because I made three of them, I was able to develop a system and perfect it. I was able to work at my own pace without pressure. Most importantly, the design worked and these benches will also be beneficial for many others for many years to come.

By the way, Happy Thanksgiving! I'll be posting another entry later today that's more holiday-themed.

No comments:

Post a Comment