Monday, November 18, 2013

Milestones

My car went over the 100,000 mile mark yesterday as I was on my way to visit my new favorite place, the Oregon Coast. I often celebrate when my car reaches a certain mileage. It tells a story of sorts and reminds me of where I was at certain times in my life.

I don't have a picture, but I remember my car crossing 10,000 on Interstate 95 in Florida in 2008. I know he's probably reading this and he has a picture somewhere, so Dad, help me out if you can find that one.

20,000-40,000 are pretty forgettable. I know a lot of cool stuff happened in there...beach trips, bachelor parties, college reunions and I even left the country for a few days. But alas I don't have pictures and I don't remember the experiences, so I'm guessing I was probably driving to or from work on said occasions.

Anyway, 50,000 was one of my favorites. I was on my way to the Outer Banks, having left after work on a Friday night. I drove until I was too tired to continue and stopped at a rest stop to sleep for a few hours. I awoke the next morning to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel:



What a beautiful day. What a wonderful feeling. Of course, later that day my windshield was smashed by a golf-ball-sized rock, but that's another story.

At 60,000, a friend and I were driving through a snow storm to see the Flyers play in New Jersey.



Note the traction control light, which was on NOT because I was skidding but because of a computer malfunction. I kept driving anyway. I had a hockey game to catch! We won, by the way. Go Flyers.

6 months later, I had taken on a new job, moved to Maryland and was on the Capital Beltway. I don't actually have a picture of the Beltway or the exact mile mark. Strangely enough, I was cruising on it when it WASN'T jammed full of traffic. I remember there was a lot on my mind that day, so understandably my focus was other places, but I DID take a picture just after the fact. Close enough, right?



At 80,000, I was on the Beltway in the morning. Eh...anything to keep my mind off the traffic jam, I suppose:


Best moment ever, when your odometer spells "BOOBS" and you almost don't mind being stuck in Beltway traffic. ALMOST:


I don't have a pic of 90,000. I know I was in South Dakota and I wasn't driving at the time. I know the driver pretty well, so hunting it down SHOULD be easy...

And lastly, but certainly not leastly, 100fuckingthousand, about to enter a tunnel in the Coast Range:



Not the best weather inland, but the coast was beautiful as it always is.

Over 100,000 miles, 2 countries, up and down the East Coast and across the country. So, where to next?

No comments:

Post a Comment