Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Macrodelphia

Today is a very important anniversary in my life. Today marks exactly two years since I saw Denny Waxman for my first macrobiotic consultation. People throw around cliche phrases like "the day that changed my life forever" all the time, but this truly was one of those days.

In January 2014, I had just recently returned from a cross country adventure that, let's just say, didn't go quite as I had planned. I returned to Pennsylvania very much more unsettled, distraught and broken than when I had left 6 months prior. I came home because at that point, I had nothing left in my tank and didn't know what else to do.

I took a break, as you might expect. I relaxed. I started to think about what was going to be next.

For all that I went through with my ex-girlfriend, she did turn me on to macrobiotics. Don't ask me why, but at that time, I felt like she was on to something. So, after about 2 weeks home, I decided that I wanted to take the Strengthening Health Intensive and just kind of see what would happen after that. It was perfect: a chance to be in Philadelphia for 4+ days, eat some delicious macrobiotic food, learn about this lifestyle I'd been trying to incorporate into my life for the last 9 months...it all made sense. I was also hoping to explain the sleeping difficulty and various inexplicable ailments I was encountering (for example, have you ever had a ringing in your ear that wouldn't go away?), so what did I have to lose?

The seminar ended up being canceled due to some last minute student withdrawals. I decided to see Denny for a consultation anyway. I still remember being nervous that Monday, and in hindsight, I'm not sure why. After I left with my recommendations, I was energized. I still remember immediately walking to Essene Market afterward to stock up on supplies (and spending $120ish while unemployed...yeesh!). Oddly enough, I'd end up living in that neighborhood less than 10 months later.

It wasn't all pretty from the get go. I basically started over with macrobiotics. My cooking was nowhere near what it needed to be:

Or maybe it's just the lighting...

That was the first meal I cooked on Tuesday morning. I remember it was...unbalanced. Nonetheless, I wasn't discouraged. I kept up with it, and even after just a few days, I noticed small improvements. And as I'd go forward, I'd eventually realize that I didn't have to be so damn strict about eating brown rice and miso soup every day!

About a week after my consultation, I got a call from SHI. They wanted me to help them record their seminars to build an online education program. The rest, as the saying goes, is history.

Denny and his wife Susan offered me a job at SHI. I moved to Philly in March. After months of working and studying at SHI, my health (and my cooking!) improved. I helped SHI re-build their website, among other things. I moved again (and again) to a better house with my roommate and best friend I had met on the very same day of my consultation. I found another job with Wash Cycle Laundry. I can't begin to tell you about all the wonderful people I've met and friends I've made (you know who you are). I met the girl of my dre--- ok, not quite yet. In due time, right?

And so it's only fitting that last night, after my pipes had frozen in my kitchen leaving me unable to cook, I spent the evening at dinner with Denny, Susan and my roommate, all of whom I met that day back in 2014. Full circle, or something.

It's been two years. I've had plenty of ups and downs (like that time I flew over my handlebars). I look at January 20, 2014 as the day I laid the ground work to finally live and work in a place I love. This city has challenged me in every way possible - physically, mentally, socially, spiritually, professionally, financially...and I'm still not a hundred percent sure where exactly I fit in to this mess, but I know that I want to be here. I fucking love this town!

Of course, I owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to everyone who has been there along the way. Friends, family (especially Mom and Dad), classmates, teammates, fellow musicians, co-workers, bosses, and hell, maybe even some enemies. I really can't thank all of you enough. Sitting here looking back on the last couple years, I realize that I've somehow created a nice little life for myself in the city of brotherly love. Not perfect, but nice nonetheless. And to think, it all became possible because I decided to get a consultation from this macro guy on a whim...

Happy Wednesday, everyone.

2 comments:

  1. It's not about having a perfect life, its about having a happy and healthy life... and I'm happy to share my city with you!! I felt similar when I was going through a tough time a few months ago, I didn't want to leave because this is now my "home" and everything I've built and worked so hard for is here in the Philly area, but when times get really tough sometimes you want to move back to your real home town. I was seconds away from packing up and moving back to the other town we share, and then I got this amazing job at St. Joe's! I guess everything truly works out the way it should. I'm so proud of you for following your dreams, and for following a healthy lifestyle. Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you remember, I stayed at your apartment during one of my first seminars at SHI...I wouldn't be here without you either. So in case I didn't say it before, thank you so, so much! Cheers to keeping up with the good life, and sharing this mostly wonderful city. :)

      Delete